Save thousands on a new boiler

Jan 21, 2021 | MAIN FEED

test alt text
Keep the family warm for less this winter

If you’ve been furloughed you may qualify for a brand new boiler or money towards insulation or double glazing under the new Green Homes Grant scheme.

Homeowners on certain benefits can claim up to £10,000 towards the cost of home improvements if they improve their energy efficiency and thousands more people than usual may be eligible because they are currently furloughed or taking home much less money than they typically would.

So if you need a new boiler, better insulation or double glazing then check if you qualify for the Green Homes Grant. And if you’re not on benefits, you can still get up to £5,000 per household to cover two-thirds of the costs. It’s definitely worth it as improving your heating and insulation can save you hundreds of pounds a year.

How to save £140 and keep the family warm this winter

You may still also be able to claim the £140 Warm Homes Discount this winter if you act quickly.

The individual energy companies set their own rules on who qualifies and, although you have until March 31 to claim the discount, these companies have a limit on how many payouts they make in one year, so you have a better chance if you get in early.

I’m always harping on about switching energy suppliers to save cash but before switching please check whether they can offer you this discount. The good news is that most of the big companies do as you can see from the list below. I partner with a company who is offering £100 off your fuel bills to switch this January, so get in touch if you’d like more information.

Click on the links to apply or give them a call today. If you’re looking for a better deal on your utilities, email me at

Will I qualify?

If you, or a permanent resident in your home, receive one of the benefits in both Section A and Section B below, you should qualify for the discount.

Section A

· Income Support

· Income based Jobseekers Allowance

· Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

· Universal credit

· Household annual income less than £16,190

· Pension Credit Guarantee & Savings, or Pension Credit Savings only

Section B

· Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit equivalent (with or without a disability or severe disability element)

· A disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium

· Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance (for an adult or child within the household)

· Long term Incapacity Benefit

· A child under five living at the property

· A disabled child premium

· Personal Independence Payment

· Pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium

· State Pension

How do I claim?

Atlantic – 0800 300 111

Bristol Energy – 0808 281 2222

British Gas – 0800 072 8625

Cooperative energy – 0800 954 0693

Economy Energy – 03331039053

EDF Energy – 0800 015 0960

E.ON – 0800 051 1480

Extra Energy – 0800 953 4774

First Utility – 01926 320700

Flow Energy – 0800 0920202

• GB Energy – see Co-operative energy

M and S Energy – 0800 9 802 473

Npower – 0800 172 6999

Our Power – 0808 168 4534

OVO – 01179 303 100

Sainsbury Energy – 0800 107 1879

Scottish Power – 0800 027 0072

Southern Electric – 0345 071 3953

Scottish Hydro – 0800 300 111

Southern Electric – 0800 300 111

Spark Energy – 0345 034 7474

SSE – 0800 300 111

Swalec – 0800 300 111

Utilita – 03303 337 442

Utility Warehouse – 0800 781 7777

If you found this post useful please share it with your friends and don’t forget to like Broke in Bristol to never miss an update. More from Broke in Bristol (& beyond):

10 steps to get out of debt

The best walks in & around Bristol

About me

Jackie Annett

Welcome to my website. My name is Jackie Annett and I've lived in this wonderful city for many years. I'm a single mum to fourteen-year-old Little Miss Diva and for the last 20 years, I've been working as a journalist, magazine editor and blogger.

Work With Me


Latest post