It’s a good time to get your car booked in for a free winter car check before the mornings get really cold. I took my fiat to Halfords on the Bath Road for a free check a couple of days ago where a technician checked my lights, brakes, wheel bearings, tyre pressure and other safety points.
Luckily, the only points that were picked up were that I was low on coolant and needed a new bulb, cost to me just £10. In total, ATA trained technicians check the 15 safety points below:
- Are horns and lights working correctly?
- Are brake drums, discs and pads corroded, scored or distorted?
- To check if your suspension components has any signs of corrosion, leaks or wear?
- Are the brake hydraulic system, hoses and pipes free of corrosion, chafing and leaks?
- Do the wheel callipers/cylinders work properly? Are they leaking?
- Does the brake servo work correctly?
- Is the ABS warning light displaying?
- Are handbrake linkages in good condition?
- Do wheel bearings need replacing?
- Are tyres in good condition? Is the pressure correct?
- Have shock absorbers weakened?
- Are there signs of wear, leaks or corrosion on the steering?
- Do the gearbox and clutch work correctly?
- Are propshaft/drive shaft gaiters and joints secured?
- Is the exhaust system secure and leak-free? Is it making a noise?
This free Halfords winter car check is available to anyone and could save you a fortune in the long run, but booking is essential so get in quickly. If you’re looking for more ways to save money check out my 10 ways to save £1,000 over the next year and don’t forget to follow the Broke in Bristol (& beyond) page on Facebook.