If you’re suffering from a financial hangover after Christmas then make 2017 the year you start to sort out your finances. Here are my 10 New Year’s resolutions that will save you money this year.
1. First things first. If you’re in debt or need advice on financial issues make an appointment with the people at Talking Money. This friendly bunch will help you sit down and work through a budget as well as come up with a plan for dealing with your debts. Or if it’s just a little belt tightening you need, check out Martin Lewis’ free budget tool.
2. What better time of year is there to start a free course? I’ve just finished a diploma in social media marketing with www.shawacademy.com and would definitely recommend them. Loads of online courses to choose from including photography and nutrition.
3. Get fit for free. Costly gym memberships are so last year. If you need to have others around you to make you move, there’s an Xercise4Less in Fishponds which is currently offering membership for £9.99 or join a group like This Mum Runs or Mums Get Fit where you can work out with others for free. UK Outdoor fitness is offering all readers a seven day free trial to its bootcamp classes in north Bristol.
4. Pimp out your parking space. It’s money for nothing – so if you haven’t done it yet check out these websites now. I made £920 during 2016. Check out www.justpark.com and
www.yourparkingspace.co.uk for more details.
5. Save money at clubs, bars and on Bristol taxis. We all know that a night out can be expensive so why don’t you save money on clubs, bars and Bristol taxis with a DarkCard annual membership? The new discount card gives you money off entry, drinks and taxi fares and Broke in Bristol readers can pick a card up for half price (£5 instead of £9.99). Click here to sign up and enter discount code BROKEINBRISTOL50.
7. Sell, sell, sell! Selling your car isn’t for everyone but I have saved thousands on insurance, road tax, garage bills and petrol. So if you can live without those wheels and you need to save some money, do it! If you can’t sell your car, have a clear out and sell unwanted items on your local Facebook groups, Trade It and Gumtree which, unlike Ebay, don’t charge a fee.
8. Don’t pay to go out. Keep an eye out for Broke in Bristol’s blog on free and fun things to do every month by following our Facebook page. Or there’s a What’s On section on Visit Bristol which covers most things happening in Brizzle including free events.
9. I’ve said it before, but if you want to make a few extra quid for very little of your time, sign up to a market research company. Try Bristol-based Peopleforresearch for the chance to earn around £50 for one hour’s work.
10. Get paid to shop by using an online cashback site like www.quidco.com and www.topcashback.co.uk. You can also try abandoning online shopping baskets to tempt online retailers into offering you a discount. This doesn’t work with all companies, but it’s certainly worth a try.
Don’t forget to like the Broke in Bristol Facebook page so that you can be the first to know about the best local deals and events happening near you. Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2017!